There’s a great divide in America today. Misunderstanding, hate, and violence separate black, white, and blue.
This divide has grown larger in just the last couple of weeks. We’ve watched it on the news. We’ve seen it in the streets of our cities. Perhaps we’ve even taken sides.
I feel helpless. The problem is far greater than my wisdom and ability.
But I do know One who is able. He knows exactly how to foster understanding, transform hearts, and bring peace.
I feel compelled to pray. To petition the Creator to do what only He can do. Will you join me?
10 Prayer Prompt Categories
The following list of prayer prompts is not exhaustive. They are broad requests to help guide you deeper in petition before our Lord. Use them right from this page or print the PDF and put it in your Bible.
- Dependence – Express your grief and helplessness before God
- Repentance – Acknowledge any prejudice and hate you harbor. Ask God to eliminate it from your life and make your heart right.
- Families – Ask God to comfort and heal Pray the families of those killed, the Dallas police officers, Alton Sterling, Philando Castille, and all victims of this American Divide.
- Communication – Ask God to open and strengthen lines of communication between all parties – between the black and white community and between the black community and law enforcement.
- Leaders – Ask God to raise up leaders for peace from every group. Pray for voices of calm, reason, and wisdom that will help build bridges instead of walls.
- Truth – Ask God to reveal truth in every altercation and situation. Pray against false witnesses. Ask God to hold the media to the highest possible standards and ethics.
- Justice – Ask God to guide lawyers, juries, judges, and prosecutors to act with integrity and honesty. Ask God to protect the process from politics and pressure from outside groups. Ask God to help all sides accept the result of fair legal proceedings.
- Protection – Ask God to protect Police Officers during duty and off. Ask Him to protect the lives of those in interactions with officers. Ask Him to keep all protests and demonstrations peaceful and productive.
- Stereotypes – Ask God to break down stereotypes on both sides. Ask Him to build respect and appreciation for Police Officers among the black community. Ask Him to help officers respond without prejudice in each and every encounter.
- Encounters – Ask God to cover every encounter on the street between police and the public. Ask Him to give police officers discernment, calm, and wisdom. Ask Him to help the public respond to police with respect. Ask God to diffuse highly explosive situations.
How have you been praying about this American Divide? Please share something specific you have prayed in the comments.
Other articles you may find helpful: