Our culture has lied to us. It tells us that “busy” is good and margin is bad. In fact, surely an overflowing calendar means we are wanted. Needed. Talented. A person of worth.
Is that what Jesus meant about giving us a “full” life? Or is “busy” one of those “thieves and robbers” He warned us about?
“The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life and have it to the full” (John 10:10).
Full or Busy?
In John 10:10, “life” refers to “life in the absolute sense as God has it” and that He extends to us through Jesus. It is eternal life, found in part now and consummated in eternity. “Full” means abundant, overflowing, to abound.
God desires our lives to be “full,” not busy. “Busy” is packed with activity – some purposed by God, but a lot purposed strictly by us. “Full,” on the other hand, describes a life filled up with the plans, purposes, and peace of God. A “full” life will be characterized by relationships, service, good works, and time. Time to focus on things that matter for eternity. (See this post for a little more on the danger of “busy.”)
Now, let’s get personal. Are you too busy? Though not a scientific test, the following checklist will give you a good idea. You may be to busy if:
- You apply any makeup in the car – other than lipstick –more than once a month
- You grab fast food for dinner more than 1-2 times a week
- You regularly turn down invites to get together w/ friends
- You’ve felt led by God to participate in an area of service or ministry but said “no” because of your schedule
- You feel like you and your husband are just “two ships passing in the night”
- You have dinner with the family around your table less than 4-5 times a week
- You and hubby have a detailed flow chart to get the kids back and forth to their activities
- You flop into bed every night exhausted
- You skip church to just “stay home and rest” more than twice a year
- You have good intentions for a regular time with God but it rarely happens
- You rarely enjoy long conversations with current friends
- Weeks go by without seeing your local friends face-to-face
Our lives may even be packed with “good” stuff, but without any margin, we have no room to respond to God’s best for us.
If God has shown you that your life is too busy, that you’re missing out on the full life He offers, consider doing a serious evaluation of your calendar. Here’s a guide to help. Give up busy. Embrace full!
Is your life full or just busy? What are you going to do today to change it?