This morning I was thinking about all the places I’ve shed tears. Some are not so strange, maybe even expected. Others are a bit on the unusual side. Here’s a partial list:
- Church – weddings, funerals, and a regular church service
- Hospital – birth, death, illness
- Starbucks – various times, talking with friends over their grief, my grief, someone else’s grief
- Plane – leaving one home for a new one
- Meeting with my boss – I must have been super hormonal that day
- School Counselor’s office – discussing one of my precious children
- Bank – again discussing one of my precious children
- Grocery store – thinking about one of my precious children
- Shower – too many times and situations to name
- Car – ditto the above
- Treadmill and elliptical – reacting to the television news
All those tears represent some specific pain, grief, loss, hurt, worry, and even joy. And there have been a lot over my almost 50 years of living. I know it is the same with you.
God does not promise His children an easy, care-free life. In fact, Jesus knew this life would be painful for us at times. “In this world you will have trouble, but take heart! I have overcome the world” (John 16:33). But God does promise to walk with us through the trouble and give us the help and strength we need.
“God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging.” Psalm 46:1-3, NIV
One more place I cry is in prayer. Hopefully, it is the place I shed the most tears. In fact, God invites us to bring Him our tears so He can comfort us.
“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened and I will give you rest.” Matt 11:28
Have you cried out to God lately? Bring your hurt and pain to Jesus so He can comfort and strengthen you. Acknowledge your need for Him and for His help.
When was the last time you cried? Where was it? When was the last time you cried out to God?
Is your faith prepared to withstand the storms of life? The 8-week Bible study “Unshakeable Faith” will show you how God can help you stand firm!