Most of us start the new year with good intentions. We want to read the Bible more than we did the year before because we long to know God better. So, we start off pretty good. We read consistently for a few days or even a few weeks. Then life starts to get in the way. We miss a day here and there, then the next thing we know we are only reading occasionally.
Have you ever experienced this? I think most Christians have. But it doesn’t have to be this way. With a little help and encouragement, you CAN read the Bible consistently in the year ahead.
3 Tips to Help You Read the Bible More Regularly
- Have a plan – Haphazard reading only sets you up for failure. You are more apt to read if you know in advance where you’ll be reading. Your plan can be as simple as choosing a book of the Bible to read through. Or you can choose a reading plan. I have several on my Free Resources There are also apps – like BibleGateway and BlueLetterBible – that offer reading plans and even Bibles that include reading plans.
- Stay prepared – If you are always prepared to spend time with God, it will be easier to carve out the time each day. For instance, if you keep your Bible and other supplies together and waiting in your regular quiet time spot, you wont waste any time. (For more tips see “11 Tips for a Quality Quiet Time.”)
- Join a Group – The right kind of group will provide both accountability and encouragement to keep reading. AND of course I have a suggestion…
Reading the Bible Together
For more than 5 years, I’ve been leading the ongoing, private Facebook group “Reading the Bible Together.” This encouraging, active community includes women of all ages and walks of life who want to be in God’s Word. The members pray for one another and welcome all.
We read through one Bible book at a time, maintaining a pace that allows us to go a little deeper than trying to read through the Bible in a year. I have developed a long-range plan that will take us through the whole Bible in 6 years.
The group fits any schedule. The daily readings and discussion questions post in the group at 5am CT each morning. But, you can stop in anytime. We have women from all over the world so everyone reads and comments when it works best for them.
Here are a few of the highlights of the 2023 reading plan:
- 52 weeks, 5 days a week
- 2 “grace” days each week
- 14 full Bible books plus Psalms 42-72
- Slower reading pace for time to dig deeper
- Averages 20-30 verses a day
- New “starting” or “re-starting” points with each book
Join Me for Romans Starting 2nd
The first book of 2023 in Reading the Bible Together is Romans. I’d love for you to join me in an eight-week journey through this incredible letter. Although originally written by Paul to the first-century believers in Rome, Romans is for all Christians. This rich Bible book systematically declares the most foundational truths of our faith. Knowing and understanding these truths is vital for Christians, especially in today’s cultural climate.
All you NEED is your Bible. BUT, you can enhance your study with a copy of my newest meaty devotional “Deep Rooted: Growing through the Book of Romans.” (Available on Amazon.)
I will post the introduction to the book on Saturday, December 31st. The readings and discussion will begin Monday, January 2nd. TO JOIN “Reading the Bible Together,” follow the link, request to join, and answer the 3 questions.
Devotional Study Guides to Help Deeply Root You in God’s Word
I designed the Deep Rooted devotional series to point you first to Scripture. Each one journeys through one book of the Bible. These “meaty devotional” guides help you learn how to interact with and apply Scripture, not just read it. They are formatted around the 4 R Bible study method which is simple enough to use every day. This inductive method guides you to Read, Record, Reflect, and Respond to God’s Word. If you’d like a little help with your time in the Bible one of these may be just one you need! Check out Deep Rooted Mark, Deep Rooted Acts, or Deep Rooted Romans.
I pray you will get to know God more through His Word in 2023!
What are your Bible reading plans for 2023?
Sign up to get Kathy's blog posts by email and get a free Bible study on the book of Titus.
Titus Bible Study
Join Kathy's mailing list to receive a free mini Bible study on the book of Titus.
Success! Check your inbox for the download link.