Last week, my husband and I did something new together and had a blast! We volunteered our time at a shoebox processing center for Operation Christmas Child.
When our children were growing up, our family packed three Christmas shoeboxes every year. Each of our kids got to pick boy or girl, the age category, and the items for one of the boxes. Since they are all grown, it’s been a few years since we packed one. So this year, we helped our 5-year-old grandson pack a shoebox.
When I went online to print a trackable label, I was drawn to the opportunity to volunteer. Since we moved last summer, we now live close to one of the processing centers. So I signed us up. We spent the better part of a day working and felt as if our time truly made a difference in the effort.
Operation Christmas Child, a ministry of Samaritan’s Purse, delivers more than 9 million shoeboxes each year around the world. These boxes are checked and sorted in one of 8 processing centers across the United States. Volunteers are responsible for removing financial contributions, checking boxes for inappropriate items, adding additional items if needed, and sorting and packing the donations into shipping boxes.
4 Ways to Help a Needy Child this Christmas
It’s too late to volunteer at a Shoebox processing center this year, but it’s not too late to give to a child in need this Christmas. (FYI, in case your interested in volunteering next year, here’s the link to the Operation Christmas Child volunteer page.) Here are 4 opportunities to give now:
- Build a Shoebox online at Operation Christmas Child
- Help the child of someone in prison through Prison Fellowship’s ministry, Angel Tree
- Share the love of Jesus with a child in poverty through Compassion International
- Give a gift that helps a family in need through World Vision
Because of the most precious gift ever given to us – Jesus Christ our Savior! – let’s give back. I’d love to hear about ways you’re giving back this year!
Some other Christmas posts you may be interested in:
- 6 Ways to Impact Your Children with the Real Meaning of Christmas
- How Well do You Know the Christmas Story? – Take the trivia quiz!
- 8 Tips for the Perfect Regift
- 4 Christmas Gifts from Jesus