While you read this, I’m in the air somewhere between Chicago and Istanbul. I’m part of a seven woman, short-term mission team to Bangladesh. (For more info and honesty about my apprehension check this earlier post.)
For the next 10 days, we will work with believers who operate a center for girls. An article from Commission Stories describes The Light of Hope Learning Center as “a day shelter where impoverished girls receive education, basic health care, moral instruction and life-skills training, as well as earn a small income through creating handicrafts.” And of course, they teach them about Jesus. (Read the article more information about the work there, our trip, and opportunities to help.)
Will you pray for us? Here are a few specific needs:
- Pray for the team’s health and physical safety – Malaria, food and water borne illness, and political unrest are real possibilities.
- Pray that we can connect with the girls and their families – We are going into a very different culture. I long for them to see that we care about them even if we struggle to communicate.
- Pray that God will use our strength, skills, hands, and hearts to meet needs while we’re there.
- Pray for the team members’ relationships with each other.
- Pray that God will give us discernment and wisdom for every situation.
- Pray that God will clearly show us how we can be ongoing advocates for the work there.
- Pray however else God leads!
My plan is to blog while I’m there, but access to internet will be spotty. Check back when you can! You can be our mission partners. We return February 27th. In the meantime, will you pray? If so, let us know in the comments!