When you pray for others, what do you pray? Often the first things that come to our minds are physical needs. We often pray for their health, physical protection, jobs, relationships, and school. And God does want us to pray for these things (See Matthew 6:11, Acts 12:5, 2 Corinthians 1:10 and James 5:14-16).
But, those needs are only temporary. Our loved ones have needs much greater than their physical health. And yet many of us rarely pray for their spiritual and eternal needs. We may not even know how to pray for those things.
Thankfully, the Bible is full of examples. In fact, the majority of prayer examples in Scripture are spiritual in nature. Although the following list of Scripture prayers is not exhaustive, it’s a good start! In just a quick search, I found twenty-one things in Scripture we can pray for the spiritual needs of others. I’d love to share it with you!
Scripture Prayers to Pray for Your Loved Ones
- Thank God for them – Romans 1:8, 1 Corinthians 1:4, Philippians 1:3
- Ask for God’s mercy – 1 Timothy 1:2
- Protection from evil people – Romans 15:31, 2 Thessalonians 3:2
- Protection from Satan – John 17:5, 2 Thessalonians 3:3
- Opportunity to witness – Colossians 4:3
- Courage in witnessing – Ephesians 6:19-20
- Right words and clarity in witnessing – Ephesians 6:19; Colossians 4:4
- Spiritual strength/growth – 2 Cor 13:7-9, Colossians 1:11, 2 Thess 2:17
- Increased love & unity – John 17:21, Philippians 1:9, 1 Thessalonians 3:12
- Better understanding of God’s love – Ephesians 3:17-19, 2 Thessalonians 3:5
- Joy, peace, comfort, and encouragement – Col 1:11, 2 Thess 1:2; 2:16-17
- To know God better – Colossians 1:10, Ephesians 1:17
- Increased spiritual wisdom & discernment – Eph 1:17, Phil 1:9-10, Col 1:9
- Knowledge and understanding of God’s will for their life – Colossians 1:9
- To be holy, pure, and blameless – John 17:17, Philippians 1:10, 1 Thessalonians 5:23
- To live a life that pleases God and honors Him – Colossians 1:10
- To obediently follow God’s will – Colossians 4:12
- To grow in righteousness and Christ-like character – Philippians 1:11
- Live a life of good works that produces spiritual fruit – Colossians 1:10
- Full understanding of their eternal inheritance – Ephesians 1:18
- Stand firm in God’s truth – Ephesians 4:15
Feel free to print the PDF version of this Scripture prayer list! Stick it in your Bible and use it as a prayer guide!
You may also like:
Titus Bible Study
Join Kathy's mailing list to receive a free mini Bible study on the book of Titus.
Success! Check your inbox for the download link.