Yes, I know. God is all-powerful, all-knowing, sovereign, and holy. I fully embrace all that God’s Word says about who He is, how He works, and what He can do. But there are some things that God cannot – or will not – do precisely because of who He is.
These 7 things are not a comprehensive list, but they will all help us better understand our one, true God. I pray they also help you to worship Him more passionately and trust Him more completely.
7 Things God Cannot Do
- God cannot be wrong or make a mistake – Everything God does is right. His knowledge is perfect (Job 37:16). All His works are perfect (Deut 32:4). He never even makes an “honest mistake.”
- God cannot sin – God is holy. He is “light” and in Him there is no darkness (1 John 1:5). Perfect holiness. Not a speck of unholiness. God cannot do anything against His perfect, holy nature. He cannot do evil or be tempted by evil (James 1:13).
- God cannot lie – Yes, a lie is sin, so this one is covered by #2. However, since the Bible makes a point of telling us this specifically, I thought it was worth emphasizing! God doesn’t lie like we humans do. He only tells the truth, all the time, every time. (Hebrews 6:18, Titus 1:2, Numbers 23:19)
- God cannot change – Perfection cannot become more perfect. Since God has perfect knowledge and perfect character, He cannot change His mind or improve His behavior. (Malachi 3:6). By the way, we shouldn’t dare to “update” God’s Word or standards to match our times. Our culture may be changing constantly, but God “does not change like shifting shadows” (James 1:17).
- God cannot break a promise – We can always take God at His word. He is faithful to keep His covenants. What He says, He will do. (Psalm 89:34)
- God cannot get tired – No matter how much God accomplishes, how great and far-reaching His works, He will not grow weary or fatigued (Isaiah 40:28). In fact, He has strength in abundance and is willing to share His strength with us! (Isaiah 40:31)
- God cannot stop “being” – Our Creator God is the God who “IS.” His personal name, Yahweh, expresses the nature of His existence. He exists because He is. He exists outside of time. He has not ever “not existed” at any point, in any dimension. By nature of who He is, He must exist. Isn’t that mind blowing? (Exodus 3:13-15, Psalm 90:1-5, Revelation 1:1-8)
So, what do you think? Do you agree that there are some things God cannot do?
Sign up to get Kathy's blog posts by email and get a free Bible study on the book of Titus.
All true – totally true. Thank you for reminding us about God’s nature.
Hi Judith! Thanks for stopping by. Working on this post really had my brain working overtime! I love meditating on the nature of God.
God cannot lie!
God cannot see my sin through the blood of Jesus His Son when saved.
God cannot reject the sincerity of a sinners prayer for salvation throughChrist.
God can change His mind but cannot change.
very good ma
#8) and God cannot let you into Heaven unless you are born again. (John 3:3). And this is another truth: You must be born again.
Can God praise or worship himself ?
Very thoughtful question! I actually just did a quick bit of reading and study because I felt somewhat unprepared to answer your question. My initial thought was “yes,” but I didn’t want to respond without a biblical foundation for my answer. Basically what I found is that there is foundation in the New Testament of the incarnate Son leading in worship and worshipping the Father. Jesus sung songs of worship with His disciples and in the synagogues. And in Hebrews 2:12, the author quotes from Psalm 22:2 as a reference to the Messiah: “I will tell of your name to my brothers; in the midst of the congregation I will sing your praise.” As the mediator between God and man, the Son not only leads His brothers and sisters in worship, He also sets the example for worship by praising the Father. This is possible because of the unique, mysterious nature of our Triune God.
Thank you so much ma. The article is so inspiring and comforting.As I was reading, the Holy Spirit spoke quietly into my spirit that “God cannot forget my labour of love towards the brethren”. And l felt refreshed with me to continuing serving and laboring more for the Lord in sincere heart of obedience and worship as unto the Lord. God bless you
Praise the Lord, I am truly blessed going through your “7 Things God Cannot Do”. May good Lord Bless your family and your ministry. Keep us in your prayer.
so God can die!?
That would be another thing God cannot do! He is “Yahweh” the “self-existent one.” He does not depend on anyone or anything for His existence!
can god die ?
Good question. God exists in eternity with no beginning and no end. However, Jesus (God the Son) also chose to become man so that He could die for the sins of mankind.