Life is filled with hard things. Situations that simply don’t feel fair. My mother suffers from the latter stages of Alzheimer’s. It’s a cruel disease, for the patient and the family. And some days, when my emotions get the best of me, I question God. I doubt His goodness.
I struggled with these feelings just last week after I flew to visit Mom in Tennessee. I wanted to know why God isn’t doing something. Why He doesn’t fix things. My emotions ran amuck. Maybe God doesn’t care. Maybe He doesn’t see. Maybe He can’t – or simply won’t – intervene.
Why God don’t you do something?
But, then He whispered. I see her. I see you. I care. I am working.
I had to make a choice. Would I trust my feelings or God’s truth? Would I believe the feelings fostered by these temporary physical circumstances or believe the One who even raises up nations to carry out His purposes?
Once again – because I’ve been here before – I chose to trust and believe God and His truth. But not before I spent some time wallowing in the lies of my emotions.
Have Your Emotions Ever Gotten the Best of You?
What about you? Have your emotions ever lied to you? Difficulties, trials, struggles, and grief can foster emotions that deceive us and lead us away from God’s truth. They tell us things like:
- God can’t do anything with this.
- God doesn’t see your struggle.
- God doesn’t care that you’re hurting.
- God is too busy to do anything for you.
Any of those things sound familiar? We cannot trust our emotions. Our feelings will mislead us, but God never will. I learned I can choose to stand on God’s truth even when my emotions are trying to drag me under. When the world is shaking around me, I can run to our unshakeable God and stand firm on His truth.
Is your life shaking right now? Choose to stand on God’s truth no matter what your circumstances or your emotions may say. The following truths rebut some of the major lies our feelings tell.
5 Truths to Stand on for an Unshakeable Faith
- God Can – Our all-powerful, sovereign God is always in control and always working in every situation. Even when we can’t see Him. (Jeremiah 32:17)
- God Sees – God sees and knows about every aspect of our lives and the world condition. (Psalm 139:1-4)
- God Cares – God doesn’t simply see your struggles, He cares about every aspect of your life. He knows your needs and He wants to meet them. (Matthew 6:25-34)
- God is Present – God is always with His children. He never leaves us. Even when we don’t sense His presence He is there. (Isaiah 43:2)
- God is Working – Even when we can’t see Him, God is constantly working out His eternal purposes through events, nations, and powers to accomplish His purposes in the world. And He is constantly working through the circumstances of our lives to bring about His perfect good. (Romans 8:28)
Keep Reminding Yourself of God’s Truth
One weekend at a conference, I shared these truths with about 250 women. Even though these truths are clear and simple, they are hard to remember when life starts to shake. So, we connected these five truths to something that’s with us all the time. Then we created a visual to keep and put somewhere we will see it often.
We stood and claimed the five truths, counting them off on each finger of our right hand. Then they traced their hands on a large index card and wrote one truth on each finger. One of the young women turned hers into a work of art! So I asked if I could snap a photo.
Perhaps your life is shaking right now. The world will never provide us with firm footing, but we can stand unshakeable when we choose to stand on God and His truth. Think about how you could create a visual reminder for yourself!
“Trust in the LORD forever, for the LORD, the LORD, is the Rock eternal.” Isaiah 26:4
Which of these 5 truths most speaks to your situation today? Will you choose to trust the LORD, the Rock eternal?