We hear it all the time: “We are all God’s children!” Sounds good, doesn’t it? All humanity united in one family. With one Father. All brother and sisters with Christ Jesus.
But that’s not what God says in His Word.
The Bible teaches that all humans are creatures of God. We all belong to Him because He formed and fashioned us. We were made by Him and for Him (Colossians 1:16). Made in His image (Genesis 1:26-27). Made for His glory (Isaiah 43:7).
The Bible also teaches that God loves all people (John 3:16). He longs to be in right relationship with each and every individual (2 Peter 3:9). He desires that all people come to eternal salvation through Jesus Christ (1 Timothy 2:3-6). In fact, He desires this so much that while everyone was still in utter rebellion against Him, God sent His Son to die to save us (Romans 5:8). That’s how much He loves us. That’s how much He loves you.
But not all people are children of God.
Only those born of God are children of God
The Bible makes a clear distinction between those who are children of God and those who are not. Only those born by God’s Spirit through faith in Jesus are children of God (1 John 3:1-10, Galatians 3:26, John 8:34-41).
“To all who received Him, to those who believed in His name, He gave the right to become children of God – children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband’s will, but born of God.” John 1:12-13, NIV
The Bible also tells us what a child of God looks like. How they will behave. Here is a short list of some of what God’s Word says.
5 Characteristics of a “child of God”
If you are a child of God it will show in your life. Here are a few things the Bible says about those who are children of God:
- They love Jesus (John 8:42).
- They believe that Jesus is the Savior (1 John 5:1).
- They love God’s children (1 John 3:10, 5:1).
- They are controlled by the Holy Spirit (Romans 8:9, 14).
- They obey God (1 John 2:29, 3:7-9).
Are you a child of God? You don’t have to wonder. God longs for you to receive His gift of salvation and be assured of eternity (Find out more here.) And there are so many benefits in being a child of God!
8 Benefits of being God’s Children
God loves to bless His children. The following list is just a sample of the benefits and blessings for children of God.
- God’s children have been “redeemed,” set free from sin and eternal death by Jesus’ sacrificial death (Galatians 4:4-5).
- They are His heirs, inheriting spiritual rights and privileges and eternal life (Romans 8:17).
- God’s children have direct access to their Father (Galatians 4:5-7)..
- God’s children have a special intimacy with their Father (Galatians 4:6).
- They will grow to become like Jesus (1 John 3:2).
- God’s children have peace, unity, and equal status with each other (Galatians 3:26-29).
- They will experience a future resurrection (Romans 8:11).
- God’s children have the presence and confirmation of the Holy Spirit (Romans 8:16).
Have you every heard the incorrect statement “We are all God’s children?” Maybe you’ve said it. Why is it important that we understand the truth?