Without the resurrection we have no hope for eternity. Jesus’ death on the cross is not sufficient to provide the abundant and eternal life God has promised us.
The apostle Paul firmly believed the cross was not enough. Read what he wrote to the Corinthian Christians:
And if Christ has not been raised, then your faith is useless and you are still guilty of your sins. In that case, all who have died believing in Christ are lost! And if our hope in Christ is only for this life, we are more to be pitied than anyone in the world. 1 Cor 15:17-19, NLT
Peter also knew that our eternal hope depended on the resurrection of Christ:
Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, and into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade—kept in heaven for you, 1 Peter 1:3-4, NIV
So why do we so often leave out the Resurrection when we share the Good News of Jesus? We don’t forget to talk about the Cross. And yes, praise God, the death of Jesus on the Cross of Calvary provided the payment that my sins – and yours – has earned. Our sins deserve the death penalty. Our sins brought us spiritual death and separation from our holy God. But Jesus Christ took that penalty on Himself. Without the cross of Christ we would still be dead in our sins. But that is only part of the Gospel message.
In 1 Corinthians 15 Paul succinctly expressed the Good News. He boils down the message to its most important components.
For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures. 1 Cor 15:3-4, NIV
5 reasons we need the resurrection
Yes, Jesus’ death paid the price of our sin, but His resurrection provided our hope for life – both now and eternally. Don’t miss these important truths:
- It proves everything Jesus said and did was true. See John 14:20
- Jesus’ resurrection defeated death! That victory is His and ours! See Romans 6:9
- It provides us with new life in God. See Romans 6:10, Col 3:1
- Jesus’ resurrection guarantees our physical resurrection. See Rom 8:11, 1 Cor 15:20-21
- The resurrection gives us power for this life. See Philippians 3:10, Romans 8:11
The resurrection is the power of God for those who believe! Because Christ has been raised, we will be raised! Believers, we have the same power living in us that raised Christ from the dead! Let’s shout it out!
Do you tend to forget about the resurrection? I’d love to hear your thoughts about the power of the resurrection in your life.
Want to learn more about God’s saving grace for you and your life? Check out these resources:
- “God’s Truth Revealed: Biblical Foundations for the Christian Faith“
- Find out more about a saving relationship with Jesus
- “Lavish Grace” – 9-week Bible study on Paul’s experiences with and teachings about God’s grace