But how often do I – do you – settle for substitutes for life? This physical life we’re living is not real life. It’s merely a shadow. Yet we often live like this physical world is the end all, be all. We focus on things that are temporary. We invest our energy and resources and time on things that don’t last.
In the book of Colossians, the apostle Paul encourages us to immerse ourselves fully and completely in our real life:
“Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God. When Christ, who is your life, appears, then you also will appear with Him in glory.” Colossians 3:1-4, NIV
Our real life is our relationship with Jesus and our citizenship in the Kingdom of God. Everything else is a poor substitute. Yet so often I act like this shadow life is the real thing. What about you?
7 Signs you may be missing out on Real Life:
- Trying to “follow all the rules” (Colossians 2:20-23).
- Struggle constantly with the old sin nature and its desires (Colossians 3:5-7).
- Relationships with other Christians are superficial and/or tumultuous (Colossians 3:8-11).
- Fulfillment and contentment seem just out of reach (Colossians 3:15).
- You worry excessively about your physical needs.
- Your calendar rules the day.
- You rarely have time to linger over God’s Word.
We don’t have to miss the real thing! Paul Doesn’t just give us the characteristics of living a shadow life, he also gives us practical tips for living our “real life” now.
5 Tips for Embracing Real Life:
- Purposefully “put on” the character and attitude of Jesus (Colossians 3:12).
- Form and keep a vital connection with a local church (Colossians 3:13-15).
- Practice gratitude (Colossians 3:15).
- Immerse yourself in God’s Word (Colossians 3:16).
- Commit everything you do to the glory of Christ (Colossians 3:17).
Are you living the real life God has for you? If not, what can you do today to step into His real life?!