When my kids were young, I learned the hard way to be very careful about making promises. Why? Because sometimes, no matter how much I may have wanted to keep the promise, the circumstances were beyond my control.
For instance, a promise of a trip to the park could be quickly shattered by a thunderstorm. A promise that daddy would be home soon could be easily derailed by a traffic jam. Broken promises like these didn’t do much for the mother-child relationship. And one of my children was particularly sensitive to any breech.
Unlike the promises of earthly parents, we can completely trust the promises of our heavenly Father. (For more on this Father/Child relationship see “We are Not all God’s Children.“) We can hold tight and hope fully because our God will always keep His promises (Hebrews 6:17-19).
God does not break promises. Period.
God, the Promise-Keeper
He keeps promises because He is good and faithful. He keeps promises because there are never circumstances beyond His control, never situations He did not foresee.
The absolute security of the promises of God is like an anchor for our souls in times of trouble (Hebrews 6:19). This anchor produces hope that holds us fast and sure as the waves of life toss us about. We may get a little seasick, but we won’t drift away in the current. We won’t sink in the waves.
This year has been filled with hardship and heartache. But whatever you’re facing today, God knows and He is able. You can trust in His presence and hold fast to His promises. Find comfort and peace today in His Word.
10 Promises of God
The following Scriptures are just a sample of the many promises God makes in HIs Word. (Check out this post for a few more.) These promises are not for the world, but for God’s children, those who have entered into a saving relationship with Jesus. (If you aren’t sure, see “How to Know Jesus.”)
- God will be present with you (Isaiah 43:1-2) – God does not promise His people that we won’t go through trouble. But He does promise He will go through it by out side.
- God will provide for your needs (Matthew 6:25-33) – Jesus assured us that the Father knows our every need and will meet it. Sometimes His provision doesn’t look exactly like what we expected. So, although we cannot trust in a specific provision, we can trust in our divine Provider.
- God loves you (Romans 8:39) – No matter the quality of your other relationships, as a child of God, we can always depend on our heavenly Father’s love for us.
- God will ease your fears (Psalm 34:1-7) – God is greater than anything that can hurt or harm us. He can deliver us from trouble and whatever He does allow into our lives He will deliver through it, even if it’s all the way to glory. We have no need to fear what today or tomorrow holds because God hold us.
- God will trade His peace for our anxiety (Philippians 4:4-10) – When we bring our anxious thoughts to God and meditate on His good things, He will trade our anxiety for His peace.
- God will give you soul rest (Matthew 11:28-30) – This world gives us lots of burdens to carry. But God invites us to lay them down and experience His rest.
- God gives us spiritual protection (1 Peter 1:3-5) – When we enter into a saving relationship with Jesus, we never have to wonder if we will “get to heaven.” God spiritually shields and protects those who belong to Him.
- God will always provide a way to say no to temptation (1 Corinthians 10:13) – We do not have to give in to temptation. God promises to show us a way out and the strength to say “no.
- God gives contentment in any situation (Philippians 4:10-13) – No matter our physical circumstances – plenty or need – Jesus will give us the strength to be content.
- God will make all things right (Revelation 21:1-4) – At the end of history, when Jesus comes again, God will abolish all sin, grief, death, and mourning!
Which one of these passages spoke to you today? What promise of God do you need to hold tight to?
Sign up to get Kathy's blog posts by email and get a free Bible study on the book of Titus.
Dear Sis. Kathy in Christ,
We are especially reaching to the Muslims & Hindus by His Glorious Gospel of Christ according to His will & plan in our lives and He is establishing His Church among them for His own glory.
We very glad to share with you that our Living God has heard our prayers and answered for His own glory. He is truly prayer answering God! Therefore, rejoice with me in the Lord and praise Him and give glory & honour to Him.
God has touched my daughter Noorie’s heart and He has helped her to understand that her friendship (only through telephone talk) with my previous care taker of the Church building is NOT His plan in her life. Even He has helped her to stopped communication with this boy who is a liar, cheater and morally corrupted for His own glory. He has protected my daughter’s life from unholy friendship.
I humbly request you kindly continue uphold Noorie in your prayers. Please pray that our Lord might help her to concentrate on her study as she is preparing to seat for joint entrance exams to get privilege to study medicines. Pray that God’s plan might fulfil in and through her life for Him only. Also pray that Jesus The Great Healer might touch her body & mind and heal her completely from depression as she is suffering from last two years.
Bashir & Ayeasha
I raised three daughters in church. During their times of growth into teenagers, one of my daughters began to have relationships that was not pleasing to me. I fasted and prayed for my daughter, not giving up on her. She went through depression, began to drink and smoke marijuana. I continued to pray. She was 16 at the time. Dont give up on Noorie, God is going to heal her heart, mind and body. She shall be made whole. God has complete power over her life now. My daughter is 36 now, engaged and is truly blessed of the Lord. God is able and he will do what he promised in his word. God says< "I am the God that is going to make things right with your daughter. Don't worry, Give it to the Heavenly Father, He is more concerned than you know. God loves you and Noorie.
Fantastic article ! I read all the comments.. (oh boy) The truth is Gods word period, no matter how people understand it. We truly perish for lack of knowledge ( true understanding ) People seem to fancy what makes there sinful mindset comfortable. Even I. But when we lean not on our own understanding and humble ourselves we can really learn what Gods word is teaching us. Our debates become less as we accept the truth, even if it’s hard to hear.
Its really great that you are a true teacher of his word! That you make learning not so difficult. Thank you.