Are you comfortable in sharing the Gospel, the Good News of salvation through Jesus? Every Christian should be equipped and always prepared to share the reason for the eternal hope we have in Christ (1 Peter 3:15).
It doesn’t take a seminary degree or a weekend course or a special “calling.” All you need to share the truth is a handful of Scripture verses and a desire to see the lost come to know Jesus.
Of course the salvation message is all over the Bible. We could spend eternity talking about all Jesus has done for us and never reach the end of His mercy and grace. However, when God gives us the opportunity to tell someone about Jesus, we often only have a moment, a small window of time.
I love how the Apostle Paul summarized the Gospel in his first letter to the Corinthian believers:
Let me now remind you, dear brothers and sisters, of the Good News I preached to you before. You welcomed it then, and you still stand firm in it. It is this Good News that saves you if you continue to believe the message I told you—unless, of course, you believed something that was never true in the first place. I passed on to you what was most important and what had also been passed on to me. Christ died for our sins, just as the Scriptures said. He was buried, and he was raised from the dead on the third day, just as the Scriptures said. 1 Corinthians 15:1-4, NLT
But how do we share that in a way that people will recognize their need and respond to Jesus? One very simple way is what Christians call the “Roman Road.” It’s a short list of verses from the book of Romans that show our need for salvation and how Jesus fills that need. I have seen variations of this list that includes 4 to 8 verses. My list below includes 5, very easy to memorize verses.
- Romans 3:23 – Every person has sinned, has done things contrary to God’s holy perfection.
- Romans 6:23 – Our sin has a cost. That cost is spiritual death or eternal separation from God.
- Romans 5:8 – Because God loves us, He paid our sin debt Himself. Sinless, perfect Jesus died in our place.
- Romans 10:13 – Anyone and everyone who accepts Jesus’ gift, or “calls on His name,” will receive God’s salvation.
- Romans 10:9-10 – Anyone who believes and confesses that Jesus died for us and rose from the dead will be saved!
You can use the Roman Road anytime or anywhere. Here are 3 ways you can use and share:
- Mark the verses in your Bible.
- Print this “printable” version of the verses and put in your purse or wallet.
- Memorize the verses so you are always prepared!
Do you feel ready to share the Good News of Jesus anytime, anywhere? If not, why not?
Here are a few other resources you may find helpful: