The first chapter of Psalms paints a beautiful word picture to illustrate the life of someone deep rooted in God’s Word.
“Blessed is the one… whose delight is in the law of the Lord, and who meditates on his law day and night. That person is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season
and whose leaf does not wither— whatever they do prospers.” Psalm 1:1-3 NIV
When we pursue a committed, ongoing relationship with God and the living water of His Word, we will be like that vibrant, productive tree.
I want to be like this tree. What about you?
Many Christians long for this, but either feel ill-equipped to study the Bible on their own or need help and encouragement to develop a regular habit. I can help!
Find Confidence in Bible Study
Bible study doesn’t have to feel daunting. Yes, there are a lot of wrong ways to approach God’s Word. BUT… with just a little guidance and a few simple tools you can handle Scripture correctly. You don’t have to be a preacher, Bible scholar, or “super” Christian!
The goal of any good Bible study method is to discover God’s original meaning in order to know God more and apply His truths to our lives. This is the goal of any inductive study of the Bible. Keep in mind, there is only ONE original meaning of any Scripture, but endless application!
The 4 R Bible Study Method
I teach a simple, inductive method of Bible study I call the 4 R method. For me, the 4-Rs are easy to remember and simple enough to use every day. (For a more thorough explanation of the 4-R Bible study method, see this post or the 30-minute teaching video below.) Here’s a quick breakdown:
- READ: Read the daily Scripture passage humbly and thoughtfully. If you have time, it helps to read it in more than one Bible translation. (See more about Bible translations.)
- RECORD: Observe the passage like an investigative journalist. Note or mark things like important facts, key words, and truths about God. Each devotion will prompt you to look for specific things, but feel free to go beyond these limited suggestions. (Read more about observing a passage.)
- REFLECT: Your observations will help you interpret God’s original meaning of the text. As you interpret, be sure to consider things like context and biblical genre. (See “4 Tips to Help You Interpret the Bible.”)
- RESPOND: Finally, each devotion ends with questions to help you apply God’s Word to your life. Spiritual transformation is always our end goal. (For some examples of application, see the PROBE prompt.)
This simple method will help you be a good steward of God’s Word and give you confidence as you study! The video teaching below is just 30-minutes! It walks you through the 4R Method and uses Psalm 1 as an example.
Develop a Good Habit to be Deep Rooted
Many Christians desire to be in God’s Word regularly, but struggle to develop a habit that keeps them coming back again and again. Sometimes we just need a little structure, help, and encouragement to build a habit that lasts.
My “Deep Rooted” devotional series does just that. This is not your average devotional that gives you one verse, some inspirational thoughts, and a prayer prompt.
Both volumes of Deep Rooted, which are formatted around the 4 R Bible study method, walks you through a book of the Bible. Each day gives the reading, some helpful commentary, and questions designed to help you observe, interpret, and apply God’s Word to your life.
I’ve seen estimates that it takes 21 days to develop a new habit. The Deep Rooted devotionals are 40 (Mark) and 50 (Acts) days. By the time you finish one of these devotionals you’ll be well on your way to securing a life-time habit of staying in God’s Word. You will be like that tree planted by streams of water…
Deep Rooted: Growing through the Book of Acts
Want a little extra help getting the New Year started in God’s Word? I will be leading a group through “Deep Rooted Acts.” This closed Facebook group for women begins Monday, January 3rd. Here’s a link to the group. You will want a book to participate. Here’s a link to Deep Rooted Acts on Amazon.
AND, here’s more about Deep Rooted: Growing through the Book of Acts”
Pack your bags and join Kathy Howard for the journey of a lifetime. You’ll experience the powerful arrival of the Holy Spirit, witness the birth of the church, and walk the dusty roads alongside those first missionaries as they boldly share the Gospel of Jesus with the world.
This volume of Deep Rooted — 50 devotions through the book of Acts–will show you how to interact with and apply Scripture, not just read it. These meaty daily devotions use a simple study framework designed to help you:
- Develop a regular habit of spending quality time in God’s Word
- Learn how to dig into Scripture on your own
- Foster a desire to share the gospel with others
- Depend on the Holy Spirit as you follow Jesus
Finally, a devotional with some meat on its bones! Available now on Amazon: https://amzn.to/3rEiYRf
Sign up to get Kathy's blog posts by email and get a free Bible study on the book of Titus.
Titus Bible Study
Join Kathy's mailing list to receive a free mini Bible study on the book of Titus.
Success! Check your inbox for the download link.