You can understand the Bible. God wants you to know Him better through His Word. The 4 R Bible study method – read, record, reflect, and respond – is a basic, but solid way to dig a little deeper into any biblical passage. This “inductive” method uses careful observation to discover what the passage says. That’s our first goal – to accurately interpret God’s meaning.
Every Bible passage has just ONE meaning – God’s original and only meaning.
Personal application is our last step and end goal. You don’t need extra resources. All you need is your Bible, a pen, a notebook or journal, and a humble, teachable attitude. The “R” repetition makes it memorable! You can take it anywhere!
Video Teaching on the 4 R Bible Study Method
For a written explanation of the 4 R Bible study method see “The 4 R Bible Study Method for Everyday Use.“ But, if you have 30 minutes, here’s a more thorough video teaching! (Look below for links to helpful handouts you may want to refer to during the video.) One more thing – I recorded this teaching for a specific Facebook study group, so ignore the references to the group! Unless you’d like to join! (Deep Rooted Bible Study Group)
Here are some helpful handouts & additional links:
- What you need to know about Bible translations
- Where does each translation fall on the spectrum. Check out this translation chart!
- How the literary genre of the Bible book impacts our understanding.
- Things to look for when you “observe” a Bible passage.
- How context impacts our understanding of the passage.
- Ongoing “Reading the Bible Together” Facebook study group
What insights or questions do you have?